Friday, January 2, 2015

The LOOK

Last week, our 21 year-old walked past me on her way out of the kitchen. She turned back and said, "Mom, there's a spill on the floor near the refrigerator, in case you didn't know."  She said this in a respectful manner that showed she thought she was doing a helpful thing by informing me of the spill.
I knew I had spilled some water while preparing food, but I hadn't yet grabbed a paper towel to get it up.
And now, instead of grabbing said paper towel and drying the floor, our 21 year-old let me know the floor was wet.
Suddenly, I realized why long ago, my mother occasionally used to look at me a certain way. The LOOK would cross her face when childhood Sylvia had a mind-burp and Mom didn't want to say what she actually thought. However, I usually got the message once I saw The LOOK on Mom's face, and I quickly tried to fix whatever I had done wrong.
I gave my 21 year-old The LOOK, and she got the message. Well done, my dear child.
Did your Mom use The LOOK with you?

Smiles,
Sylvia
www.sylviabrownroberts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment