Friday, January 9, 2015

Taking Chances

I was at a store today, and a young lady approached me. I'd already noticed her moving up and down the aisles, like she was looking for something. This is how it went:
Young Lady: "Excuse me, Miss. I want to buy a pack of cigarettes, but I don't have any ID on me. If I give you the money, will you buy them for me?"
Me: "My faith won't let me buy cigarettes for you. I can't, young lady." I was pleasant, but firm.
Young lady: "Oh, I'm sorry. I apologize for asking you." She seemed genuine.
She walked away. I finished shopping and went to my car. I saw her leave the store dragging on a cigarette and blowing out smoke. I guess another customer got the cigarettes for her. She drove past me in a car. I thought, "She's driving, so she can use her license as ID. And if she's driving without a license, she's taking another risk in addition to smoking."
Things that make you go, "Hmmm."
What would you have done?
Sylvia
www.sylviabrownroberts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment