Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Confessions of a Third Grade Teacher

This is me many years ago, teaching a spelling lesson to my 3rd graders. Former students, there are three things I do now that I asked you not to do when you were in my class.

I used to say, "Please sit still. Why are you tapping your fingers on your desk? Please stop twirling your ruler." Confession: These days, your former teacher often changes position in her recliner. I move my fingers and tap them when I try to remember something.

I used to say, "How did you lose your pencil/ paper/ book when you haven't been out of your seat? It has to be there. Did you look inside your desk? It didn't vanish into thin air." Confession:  These days, I do the same thing. I sit at my writing desk and can't find the pen I just had in my hand. 

I used to say, "Stop daydreaming and get back to work. Confession: These days, my daydreams fuel my writing, and I welcome them.

It was a blessing to teach so many students! Best wishes to you all.   sylviabrownroberts.com 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment