Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Panhandler

This is my sketch of a recent event based on something I did downtown that was compassionate but maybe not so wise. After I parked my car and walked to a stoplight one Saturday afternoon, I noticed a man near the stoplight. I'm a long-time urban dweller, so I noticed a shift in his body language that indicated he noticed me. I could tell he was going to ask me for something: a cigarette (I don't smoke), some spare change, a ride, or something else. I fixed my face to show I wasn't naive. He was soft-spoken from the, "Excuse me, Miss," to the end of a tale that had him stranded in this city, his car impounded by the police due to lack of credentials, needing enough money to catch a bus back home. "Can you spare anything at all, Miss?"
I shouldn't have carried my large purse. I should have put a dollar or two in my outside pocket so I could have something to give without searching in my purse or wallet. Instead, I took the smallest bill I had, a five dollar bill, from my wallet. Not that I had a lot of money, but I did have my credentials which I would hate to have snatched away from me. I gave him the $5.00 bill and invited him to visit our congregation sometime. He seemed extremely appreciative and said he would. So, I drew this.
Sylvia at www.sylviabrownroberts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment