Friday, January 20, 2017

Child Play 2017

Recently I spoke with a teacher colleague. I'll call her Ann. She hasn't yet retired from our urban school system. Although I retired some years ago, I still keep up with many of the students and their siblings. Ann and I live in the community near our elementary school and our children. We and many other teachers from our era use the term our children because that's the way we relate to them. We show them that we care for them like they're our own. This allows us to reach them so we can teach them.
 After a few minutes, our conversation turned to the latest popular game the 5 year-old male children play during outdoor recess.
"Sylvia, you'd be shocked at the aggression the male children show in this one game."
"Really? Is it as bad as when they'd  throw the dodge ball so hard it would knock down the children inside the circle and they'd laugh when children fell to the ground?"
"Worse, and I believe it's because of what they see in their neighborhoods and on television and video games. They try to play this game when they think I'm not looking because I've told them not to play like this. They call the game The Po Po Gone Lock You Up."
"What? How do they play this game, Ann?"
"They chase each other around the school yard. The first one who gets caught becomes the bad guy. The one who catches the bad guy becomes the police (Po Po) and slams him up against the wall of the school building. When he falls, the police rolls him on his stomach, cuffs him with make-believe cuffs, and drags this bad guy off to the make-believe jail under the school building's overhang. After a minute, he's released from jail and the game starts again."
What's the first thought that comes to your mind?
 Lord God, please help us help our babies.
Sylvia
www.sylviabrownroberts.com


8 comments:

  1. OMG! Well I certainly hope they are learning that this is not the way to go. I think the teacher should have a Po Po question and answer discussion with them and ask them how they feel about this and what can they learn from it. Or have them write an Essay of their feelings about what is going on. Have them explain what is happening and give their opinions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are good suggestions. My teacher friend mentioned similar thoughts. Some of our children need so much positive direction.

      Delete
  2. They are most likely influenced by the recent shootings in black communities and the tension between black communities and the police. Race relations are in at a low point in our country. I am not sure if the concept of "white privilege" is helping. I think too many white people are afraid of being called racists to speak about the issue. The game is a sad commentary on the state of affairs in this country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The game is definitely a sad commentary. When 5 year-olds think of this as a fun game, what will they think is a fun game when they're 10 year-olds?

      Delete
  3. Oh my, Sylvia, this is a gut check! My city too has been touched by racial/police violence; it was a terrifying flashback to the 60s. It's not a game. I shake my head in sadness and say, "Lord, come quickly."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I pray I'll be working to help the children until the day of the Lord's coming.

      Delete
  4. That is so sad. It's crazy how kids pick up on the tension going on in the world around them. I read something on Facebook this week about a police offer pulling a young man over who was genuinely scared of the officer. The officer just wanted to keep him safe and sent him off with a verbal warning to be more careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's amazing how much children notice in their environment. We may be unaware of it until it manifests in their behavior. I did see that Facebook story and was encouraged by a positive and caring ending.

      Delete